The hard work of months of training is done. Here are some tips for helping your marathon run smoothly on the day.
- Start carb loading 2-3 days before your marathon. Ensure you are eating complex carbs, carbs that will fuel your body correctly. Glycogen is the primary source of fuel during exercise, the best way to maintain high levels of glycogen is to eat a high carb diet.
- Ensure on the day you do not experiment with a new breakfast. Eat 2-3 hours prior to the race and ensure it is something you have eaten prior to a long run before, you do not want a bad stomach on the day.
- Have you thought about your kit? Run in kit you have worn for a long run before, it is essential to know it will be comfy and not irritate you on the day.
- Have you thought about your fuel? When along the route will you be taking it? Make a plan so you can ensure you don’t run out of energy.
- Have you checked where the water stations are on the route? It is essential for you to remain hydrated.
- Have you told your supporters where to stand? If you have people watching you you need to know where they are, nothing spurs you on more than a cheer from friends or family.
- Ensure you leave plenty of time to get to the race, you will need to put your bag away, leave time to queue for the toilet etc.
- Don’t set off too fast. Leave enough time to find the pacer for where you want to start.
- Enjoy! It’s race day, you have trained for months for this so write your name on your top, get cheered round and enjoy the day.