Lentil, carrot and date salad with mint and harissa *
Severs 4 - 6 as a side dish
175g puy lentils
4 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, grated to a puree 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
3/4 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 1/2 tbsp harissa
1 tsp light brown sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
275g carrots, cut into matchsticks 3 dates, pitted and very finely sliced leaves from a bunch of mint, torn
- Put the lentils in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, turn the heat down and summer until the lentils are only just tender. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the garlic, spices and harissa.
- Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice and some seasoning.
- Put the lentils and carrots in a bowl and toss with the spicy dressing.
- Add the dates and mint and gently toss again.
- Check the seasoning and serve.