Foodie Friday: Peas, spinach & tomatoes
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 30 mins
Total time: 1 hr 45 mins
- 1tspn vegetable oil
- 350g lean pork shoulder, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 eating apple, cored and chopped (not peeled)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2x410g cans haricot beans in water, rinsed and drained
- 300ml (½ pint) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2tbsp tomato puree
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2tsp dried thyme or mixed herbs
- Ground black pepper
- 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large flameproof casserole dish, brushing it over the base. Add the chunks of pork, cooking them over a high heat for 3-4 mins until seared and browned.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots and apple. Cook, stirring, for 2 more mins.
- Add the tomatoes, haricot beans, stock, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and thyme or mixed herbs. Season with some pepper. Put the lid on and transfer to the oven to cook for 1 ½-2 hours. Serve, sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley (if using).