Another tube strike meant I took to my feet to get to and from Oxford Circus today. It was a bit nippy but luckily I was wrapped up warm and keeping my pace a bit quicker than normal I really wasn’t that cold.
I was intrigued to see how far I had walked and how many calories I had burnt and a friend told me to check out this website called Walk It http://walkit.com/. It is great you just enter in the postcodes or where you started and finished and it tells you how far it is and exactly how many calories you burnt depending on the speed of your walking pace.
It also has suggested routes and a blog with hints and tips.
Walking is a good form of exercise if you can try to fit a 30 min walk into your day.
There are many benefits of walking, here are some listed below:
- Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce high cholesterol and improve blood lipid profile
- Reduce body fat
- Enhance mental well being
- Increase bone density, hence helping to prevent osteoporosis
- Reduce the risk of cancer of the colon
- Reduce the risk of non insulin dependant diabetes
- Help to control body weight
- Help osteoarthritis
- Help flexibility and co-ordination hence reducing the risk of falls
I burnt nearly 800 calories today, just walking, makes you think how lazy we have become with the tube!
Another great thing to do is go on the London Walks. They have all sorts of walks like tours of the East End, check out this website http://www.eastendwalks.com/ exercising and learning at the same time, wicked!