Calories per serving 230.
makes 8 slices.
175 g (6 oz) caster sugar
175 g (6 oz) plain white flour
finely grated zest of 1 orange
2 tablespoons orange juice
for the filling
150 g ml (5 fl oz) low fat strawberry fromage frais
125 g (4 1/2 oz) fresh strawberries, hulled
100 g (3 1/2 oz) fresh raspberries
1 nectarine, stoned and diced
50 g (1 3/4 oz) fresh blueberries
1 teaspoon icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/fan oven 170°C.
2. Line the base of two 18 cm (7 inch) round cake tins with non stick baking parchment.
3. Using electric beaters, whisk the eggs and caster sugar together for at least 5 minutes until very pale and fluffy.
4. Sift the flour into the mixture and fold it in carefully, using a metal spoon – don’t stir it too much or you will knock the air out of the mixture.
5. Carefully fold in the orange zest and orange juice, and then divide the mixture between the two prepared tins.
6. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until the sponges are golden and springy to the touch.
7. Transfer them to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely.
8. When cool, spread one of the cakes with the fromage frais, scatter over most of the prepared fruits, reserving a few for the top, and then place the other sponge cake on top.
9. Dust the surface with sifted icing sugar and top with the reserved fruit.