It can be hard trying to fit in your five a day but it is all about the planning and trying to think of ways you can include fruit and veg into your daily diet. I thought these tips might help you to do it!
- Smoothies – Either make them yourself or cheat and buy a carton and keep it in the fridge. I buy Innocent smoothies, they come in different flavours so you can vary it check out their website http://www.innocentdrinks.co.uk/things_we_make/ Or if you wanna make your own there is loads of recipes on the net try out sites such as this http://smoothiesrecipe.com/
- Cereal topped with fruit. Tried popping some fruit into your bowl? Blueberries, Strawberries, Banana? Good way to sneak one or two portions in.
- Snacks – instead of picking up that chocolate bar or packet or crisps why not have a piece of fruit with a yogurt. Or two handfuls of cherries or grapes is a portion, make the most of different fruits being in season.
- Around ½ to 1 tablespoon of currants, raisins or two dried apricots or prunes is the equivalent of one portion.
- An avocado, prosciutto and tomato salad. Half an avocado counts as one portion. Add two large tomatoes and a handful of salad leaves and you’re three portions ahead!
- Baked beans on toast. Pulses (lentils or beans) of any type count as one portion. Top with a sliced tomato for a tasty two-portion snack.
- Make your own pasta source. Chuck some tinned tomatoes in a pan with whatever other veg you fancy sweetcorn, peppers, onions and have that with your brown pasta rather than a ready made source you pick up at the supermarket.
- Stir fry. It is easy to get two or three portions into a stir fry, go for a colourful selections – red and green peppers, broccoli, beansprouts, sweet potato etc
- Pudding – if you want something chocolatey (we are all human after all) then why not dip fruit into melted chocolate , banana, strawberries etc they all taste yummy covered in chocolate!
- 9. New Covent Garden Soup. It varies between flavours, but their Fresh Gazpacho contains 256g of tomatoes, 74g of cucumber and 74g of red pepper – half a carton is a two to three-portion lunch or supper. http://www.newcoventgardenfood.com/
It is so important for our bodies to get our five a day you really need to try and work it into your diet so good luck!