Need a healthy muffin for a morning or afternoon snack? These are perfect for a snack to tide you over to the next meal time.
1 1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 cup all-purpose white flour
1 cup oat bran
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 large egg whites
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup mashed bananas -2 medium bananas
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cup grated carrots -4 medium carrots
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil 18 muffin cups or coat with nonstick
2. In a small bowl, cover raisins with hot water; let soak for 5 minutes.
Drain and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, oat bran, wheat germ, cinnamon,
allspice, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Add brown sugar and
whisk until it has dissolved. Mix in bananas, milk, oil and vanilla.
5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet
ingredients; stir with a rubber spatula just to moisten the dry
ingredients. Gently stir in carrots and the drained raisins.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with nuts.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched
lightly. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 1 1/2 dozen muffins.
210 calories per muffin: 5 grams protein, 5 grams fat (0.5 gram saturated
fat). 40 grams carbohydrate; 140 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol; 3 grams
Preparation Time: 0:00